Nine Ways to Find Peace Every Day
Written by Amelia Harvey (Life Coach)
Unconsciously, many of us put off feeling calm and peaceful until we can get to a yoga class, afford a massage, put our feet up on the weekend, or escape to a relaxing location.
Which means, in normal life, we rush around in a chronic state of stress, emotional turbulence, and just not feeling like the best version of ourselves.
Instead of waiting for the opportunity to relax, all it takes is a few tiny tweaks to the way we go about our day and we can experience more peace straight away.
Here are 10 ways to infuse more peace into your day – minimal time and effort required:
1. Peaceful shower. When you hop in the shower, take a deep breath and enjoy the sensation of the warm water on your body.
2. Cap your social media time. Designate three 10-minute blocks to use social media in a conscious way, rather than scrolling mindlessly in every spare moment. Set the timer on your phone for 10 minutes, and switch off as soon as your time is up!
3. Breathe deeply. Instead of using those moments waiting at the traffic lights, in a line, or for the kettle to boil to stalk your mates on social media or stress about your to-do list, take 5 deep belly breaths.
4. Switch off. Put away screens at least an hour before bed – extra points for turning off bright lights and switching to soft lamps and candlelight at the same time.
5. Put your feet up. Restore peace to your nervous system by lying on your back with your legs resting up the wall for 5 minutes when you get home from work.
6. Be on time. If you’re notoriously late and constantly flustered because of it, try adding 10 minutes to your get-ready time and leave the house 5 minutes earlier than you think you need to. If you get there early, refer to tip number three.
7. Connect with nature. Even just 30 seconds spent outside looking at the sky will bring you more peace. When you can, take exercise and socialising outdoors, or spend 5 minutes barefoot on the grass when you feel the stress creeping in.
8. Stay tidy. Mess and clutter can really interrupt our peace – allocate 15 minutes a day cleaning and tidying your space. If you limit the time, you’ll be more productive and it’ll be easier to switch off when the time is up (rather than feeling guilty for not doing everything). Make a soundtrack of a few of your favourite songs to bop along to as you clean.
9. Be intentional. Set an intention for how you want your day to feel – productive, inspiring, energised, relaxing, connected, peaceful, etc. Write this intention on a post it note and pop it somewhere you’ll see it often. Every time you look at it, take a breath and reconnect with how you want to feel before moving on with your day.
Your emotions, health, work, and relationships will all see huge benefits from incorporating moments of peace into your day – choose one tip to incorporate and get started right away.